In This Page
The Catholic Church relies on Scouting to provide for wholesome outdoor experiences that develop character, fitness, and spiritual growth. Many parishes, schools, and lay organizations in the Diocese of Richmond sponsor Cub Scout packs, Boy Scout troops, and co-ed Venturing Crew. This page provides resources and information on the many opportunities available to Catholic scouts and adult leaders to strengthen their faith, including religious emblem programs for scouts of all ages and annual retreats.
Annual Scout Mass
Sunday, May 18, 2014 @ 2:00pm
Saint Bede Catholic Church, Williamsburg
All Catholic Scouts are invited to attend the Scout Mass, an annual gathering of all scouts (boys and girls) from around the diocese. During the Mass, scouts who earned a religious emblem in the past year are recognized. As well, awards are given recognizing those who have served Catholic Scouting with excellence in the Catholic Diocese of Richmond. The date and time for the Scout Mass in 2014 will be announced at a later date.
See info below
Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and
Venturing Religious Emblems
Cub Scout Religious Emblems
Light of Christ, Catholic Tigers and Wolves
The Light of Christ Activity book is now printed with both English and Spanish instructions in the same book. The requirements are the same as the previous book.
Parvuli Dei, Catholic Bears and Webelos
The Parvuli Dei Activity book is now printed with the introduction in English and Spanish. The requirements are the same as the previous book.
Ad Altare Dei, Roman Catholic Boy Scout and Venturing
Completed 6th grade 6 months active in troop
Pope Pius XII, Catholic Boy Scouts and Venturing (boys and girls)
Started the ninth grade under 21 years old
Pillars of Faith: Duty to God
The Pillars of Faith emblem provides special recognition to those boys who have earned all four Catholic Religious Awards. Very few young men earn all four awards; this emblem is to highlight their great achievement.
All program material for cub scouts, boy scouts as well as Religious Emblems are obtained from the local Boy Scout office. Those covering our diocese are listed in Local Boy Scout Council Offices .
To order any of the above awards, download the Religious Emblem Order Form
- Cub, Boy, and Venturing Scouts must be registered with the Boy Scouts of America to work on these religious emblems.
- Those Scouts living outside the USA should contact the Archdiocese of Military Chaplain or the National Chaplain upon completion.
- Emblem Books can also be obtained directly from BSA Supply and also through PRAY Publications.
- The Light is Life book for Boy Scouts belonging to the Eastern Catholic Churches (e.g. Maronite and Byzantine) can generally be obtained only from your Eparchial Catholic Committee on Scouting or directly from the National Catholic Committee on Scouting.
Catholic Scouting Awards
Scouting Youth Awards
Bishop Walter F. Sullivan Youth Award is presented to youth for outstanding service and contributing the development of Catholic values in the programs of Scouting.
Scouting Adult Awards
The Bronze Pelican Award is a diocesan recognition sponsored by the Catholic Committee on Scouting for the Diocese of Richmond. It may be presented to any adult who is working on the Scouting program under Catholic auspices, to Catholics in Scout units not chartered by the Church, and to those who have made a significant contribution to Scouting in the field of Catholic relationships.
The Saint George Award recognizes the recipient’s outstanding contribution to the spiritual development of the Catholic youth in the program of the Boy Scouts of America.
Catholic Scouting Links:
Scouting Councils with the Diocese of Richmond:
- Heart of Virginia Council, Boy Scouts of America
- Stonewall Jackson Council, Boy Scouts of America
- Blue Ridge Mountains Council, Boy Scouts of America
- Sequoyah Council, Boy Scouts of America
- Tidewater Council, Boy Scouts of America
- Colonial Virginia Council